To help prepare visitors for their trip to Uganda, we’ve detailed the key elements for a visa for Uganda, if a visa is required, how to apply and how much it costs.
Table of Contents
Visa for Uganda and other requirements
Most visitors going on a Uganda safari to Bwindi NP or other reserves including Kibale NP must obtain a visa on arrival in Uganda including citizens of the U.S, U..K and EU countries from one of the Ugandan diplomatic missions, unless they come from A visa exempt countries. All visitors must hold a passport valid for 6 months.
The best time to visit Uganda is during its two dry seasons: between December and February, and between June and August.
Prior to traveling to Uganda, all visitors must apply on the Government of Uganda’s Electronic Visa/Permit Application System website for all immigration services such as visas, permits, and passes.
The Government of Uganda indicated a move to eliminate issuance of visas upon arrival at the airport in favour of the electronic visa only. Getting to Uganda is typically done via flying into Entebbe International Airport (EBB).
Please note: U.S. citizens who previously attempted entry without completing the electronic visa process in advance of their travel were detained and refused entry into Uganda. All travelers to Uganda must have a valid yellow fever immunization card.
As a temporary measure, passengers who have not applied for an e-visa online, will still be able to apply for their e-visa on arrival in Uganda. However, facilities are very limited and passengers may experience delays.
To avoid visa issuance delays, applying for your eVisa prior to arrival is the best option.
Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Uganda. Make sure you have at least one blank page in your passport on arrival.
A negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate is no longer required for fully vaccinated inbound and outbound travellers. Children under the age of 6 are exempted from providing a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate whether they are vaccinated or not.
U.S. visitors visa and passport
Visas are required for citizens of the United States travelling to Uganda. You can apply for a visa at the Ugandan High Commission in London or apply online for an ‘e-visa’.
Yes, US passport holders must have a valid visa for Uganda to enter the country. Americans traveling to Uganda on vacation or for other short-term stays can apply online.
This electronic visa system is the quickest and most convenient way for citizens of the USA to obtain a Uganda visa.
US nationals who plan to live and/or work in Uganda must instead apply for the relevant visa and permits at an embassy or consulate, such as the Embassy of the Republic of Uganda in Washington, D.C. or the Ugandan Consulate in Chicago.
The passport holder must have at least six (6) months’ validity in their passport before they can travel to Uganda.
U.K. visitors visa and passport
All British passport holders need a tourist visa to enter Uganda. You can apply for a visa at the Ugandan High Commission in London or apply online for through this ‘e-visa external link’.
You can find full details of how to apply on the website of the Ugandan High Commission in London. Tourists should give yourself sufficient time to apply to avoid any visa issues and make sure when applying that the start date and validity covers the period you wish to travel.
You can also apply for an East African Tourist Visa. This is valid for 90 days and allows multiple entry into Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda. You can apply for this visa on the ‘e-visa’ website.
EU visitors visa and passport
EU passport holders will need a tourist visa to enter Uganda. You can apply for a visa at the Ugandan High Commission in London or apply online for an ‘e-visa’.
Switzerland visitors visa and passport
Swiss passport holders will need a tourist visa to enter Uganda. You can apply for a visa at the Ugandan High Commission in London or apply online for an ‘e-visa’.
Visa summary by country
|Passport holder||Visa required?||Length of stay?||Other requirements|
|U.S.||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
|U.K.||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
|EU countries||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
|Switzerland||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
eVisa application process
- Visit the Uganda Electronic Visa/Permit Application System website
- Insert application details
- Upload and attach the applicant’s scanned relevant travel documents for your entry Visa
- Receive email notification
8 documents required for Uganda tourist visa
- Visa Application Form: Completed application form for Uganda
- Health Document: Negative COVID-19 PCR test result required for all international travellers coming to Uganda. The negative PCR test must be issued within 72 hours of departure.
- Vaccination Document: COVID-19 vaccination proof for travellers coming to Uganda. The last dose of vaccine must be taken at least 14 days before departure.
- Passport: Original Passport or Travel document of Switzerland with at least 6 months remaining validity on the date of travel and have at least 2 visa pages clear of any markings.
- Accommodation Bookings: Hotel reservation(s) in Uganda for the duration of your visit. Embassy recommends not to purchase tickets until visa is approved.
- Don’t risk your money, time and effort by buying actual tickets.
- Travel Bookings: A round-trip flight reservation(s) for Uganda. An Onward Ticket is a flight reservation made by a real travel agency that can be helpful for visa applications or if you want to enter a country without purchasing a return flight.
- Travel itinerary: Travel itinerary is a travel reservation to and from Switzerland in your name, not a ticket. A personal letter from the applicant addressed to the Embassy of Uganda, explaining the purpose of the trip, dates of travel, cities to be visited, and place of accommodation.
- Embassies recommend not to purchase hotel and flight tickets until visa is approved. So don’t risk your money, time and effort by buying actual tickets.
- Health Document: Proof of health requirements of Uganda.
Visitors should also be aware of vaccine and Covid-19 entry requirements including
- Anti-malaria treatment is recommended
- Yellow fever vaccine is recommended
- DTPP, hepatitis B, typhoid, hepatitis A vaccines are recommended
Useful visa contacts
Do visitors need a visa for Uganda?
Yes, U.S, U.K, EU and Switzerland nationals are required to have a visa in order to enter Uganda. An eVisa can be secured online prior to the trip.
Any other entry requirements for visitors to Uganda?
Visitors should adhere to the latest Covid-19 entry requirements which may require a negative PCR test.