To help prepare visitors for their trip to Kenya, we’ve detailed the key elements for a visa for Kenya, if a visa is required, how to apply and how much it costs.
Visa for Kenya and other requirements
Most tourist visitors going on safari and Kenya beach vacations will have to obtain a visa including citizens of the U.S, U.K, EU, India and Canada. Most international flights arrive via Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (NBO) for visitors wondering how to get to Kenya.
Kenyan entry visas are exclusively issued electronically, with passengers required to obtain their e-visas before departure. Visitors can apply for single entry and transit visas on the e-visas website.
Visitors can expect to wait approximately 1 to 3 days for the visa to be approved and processed, and receive their Kenya eVisa in their inbox. Once approved, travellers are permitted a 90-day stay in Kenya.
Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Kenya. Make sure you have two blank pages in your passport on arrival.
Visitors are also advised to consult with their immigration office to be aware of any new entry or negative Covid-19 testing requirements, which may require a negative PCR test.
Visas will add on to the overall cost of a Kenyan safari with all eVisa applications attracting a $50 charge including $1 USD service charge and a USD $50 card handling fee will be surcharged. Card handling fee will be surcharged for Debit cards, Credit cards, VISA Card, Mastercard.
eVisa requirements for tourists include:
- Travel itinerary (Details about places to visit)
- Hotel bookings
- Return air ticket
- Clear Passport biodata page
- A clear photograph.
- DO NOT take a photograph of or scan the photo in your passport
- Must be taken within the past 6 months, showing your current appearance.
- Must be in color.
- Must show your full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background.
- Must show a full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background.
- Must be taken in normal street attire. Uniforms should NOT BE worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline.
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig, or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture.
- Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons.
- A medical certificate may be required.
U.S. visitors visa and passport
Visas are required for citizens of the United States travelling to Kenya. A tourist eVisa can be obtained prior to departure.
Please visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on entry/exit requirements related to COVID-19 in Kenya.
Petitioners must submit their application and wait 24-72 hours in order to receive their approved visa in their email inbox.
The passport holder must have at least six (6) months’ validity in their passport before they can travel to Kenya.
U.K. visitors visa and passport
All British passport holders need a tourist visa to enter Kenya. A tourist eVisa can be obtained prior to departure.
EU visitors visa and passport
EU passport holders will need a tourist visa to enter Kenya. A tourist eVisa can be obtained prior to departure.
India visitors visa and passport
All India passport holders need a tourist visa to enter Kenya. A tourist eVisa can be obtained prior to departure.
Canada visitors visa and passport
All Canada passport holders need a tourist visa to enter Kenya. A tourist eVisa can be obtained prior to departure.
Visa summary by country
|Passport holder||Visa required?||Length of stay?||Other requirements|
|U.S.||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
|U.K.||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
|EU countries||Yes, for most countries||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
|Switzerland||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
|Canada||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
|Australia||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
|South Africa||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
|India||Yes||90 days||Passport valid for at least 6 months|
The full list of countries that do & don’t require a visa to enter Kenya can be found here.
eVisa application process
- Visit the Kenya Immigration Services website
- Insert application details
- Upload and attach the applicant’s scanned relevant travel documents for the single entry Visa
- Applicant will receive an e-mail message containing their application & status
- After completion of filling an online visa application form, the applicant will have to pay for a respective visa fee
- Upon successful payment, the applicant will submit their application
- Lastly, the applicant will receive a message of confirmation of his application being received.
After successfully submitting the application, an applicant may track the progress of his application by using their ID Number, which is given during the application stage.
To track the application, applicants can go back to the Visa Application System, then click on the Visa Status button.
Visitors should also be aware of vaccine and Covid-19 entry requirements including
- Anti-malaria treatment is recommended
- Yellow fever vaccine is recommended
- DTPP, hepatitis B, typhoid, hepatitis A vaccines are recommended
To find out more, read our article dedicated to vaccines in Kenya.
No stamp or label is placed in the passport.Travellers may also be asked to provide:
- Passport valid at least six months on entry with one blank visa page
- Hold proof of sufficient funds
- Hold proof of onward/return flights
- Hold proof of hotel reservation
- Hold all documents required for the next destination
To complete the order form the traveller must provide:
- A photograph
- A copy of the passport information page
- A copy of the passport front cover page
- A copy of the flight confirmation
- A copy of the hotel confirmation
- A copy of a previously issued Kenyan visa if applying for a multiple entry visa
Useful visa contacts
Do visitors need a visa for Kenya?
U.S, U.K, EU, India and Canadian nationals are required to have a visa in order to enter Kenya. An eVisa can be secured online prior to the trip.
Any other entry requirements for visitors to Kenya?
Visitors should adhere to the latest Covid-19 entry requirements which may require a negative PCR test.